New Hempstead Presbyterian Church is deeply committed to serving the needs of our community, partnering with local organizations to help our neighbors, and promoting social justice locally and globally. Here are some of our recent and ongoing mission priorities:
- We address food insecurity in Rockland County through our ongoing Food Drive, which benefits the food pantry of People to People of Rockland County. We also have an annual Thanksgiving Basket program, in which we collect food and assemble baskets providing a hearty Thanksgiving dinner to Rockland families in need.
- We minister to our homeless neighbors, in partnership with Catholic Charities of Rockland and Helping Hands Interfaith Coalition for the Homeless. We serve hot meals at the Warming Center in Pomona and have provided overnight shelter and support to the Safe Haven guests of Helping Hands. We “Warm Up the Winter” by collecting socks, hats and gloves and delivering them to homeless individuals in the winter months.
- We help strengthen children and families by supporting the Martin Luther King Jr. Multi-Purpose Center and the Rockland Center for Safety and Change. Our contributions have helped sponsor summer camp for students at the MLK Center, and our “Toys for Tots” drive helped ensure a happy Christmas for children in our community.
- We envision a Rockland County where everyone has safe, affordable housing, and we provide support to Habitat for Humanity of Rockland in their efforts to renovate homes and rebuild families in our community.
- We support equality and full inclusion of all members of our community, and continue to partner with other Rockland churches to sponsor “El Proyecto Faro” (The Lighthouse Project), an immigrant-led group providing support, advocacy and education to Rockland’s immigrant communities. We are also a proud supporter of the Rockland County Pride Center, participating in their annual “Pride Guide” and other fundraising activities.
The Deacons’ ongoing “Change-in-a-Jar Program” supports many local causes, and provides emergency resources to individuals or groups experiencing urgent need. Some of the causes supported by this effort include:
Support for PC(USA) Missions
Our church also actively supports national and international mission activities of the Presbyterian Church, USA:
- One Great Hour of Sharing – sharing resources with people in need around the world through programs providing disaster assistance, hunger relief, and self-development of people;
- Pentecost Offering – supporting ministries with children, youth and young adults at the local and national level;
- Peacemaking Offering – gifts are used to advocate peace and justice locally and globally;
- Christmas Joy Offering – supports students at racial/ethnic schools and colleges, and supports the needs of families who have devoted their lives to the mission of the PC(USA).
New Hempstead Presbyterian Church provides a home for local organizations that regularly use our facilities to carry out their missions. Among these ongoing relationships are:
- Rehoboth Church of God and Trinity Church of God hold their worship services in our facilities;
- Meals on Wheels of Rockland County operates its Ramapo Senior Center on weekday mornings and early afternoons in our Murchison Hall;
- Smarty Pants Daycare operates weekdays in Murchison Hall;
- Alcoholics Anonymous and Gamblers Anonymous — we welcome members of the recovering community who use our facilities;
- Habitat for Humanity of Rockland has their administrative office in Murchison Hall.
Previous Mission Posts: